As shown in our Make It: Fun Halloween book.
STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
One – 12” Cone
One – 9” Cone
Two -6” Cones
Design It:® Foam Cutter or Serrated Knife
Molding Paste or Gesso
Acrylic Paints: White, Orange, Yellow, Brown
Coordinating Ribbon Scraps
Low Temp Glue Gun
- Cut 2 ½” off the top of the 12” cone. This is the dad and the dog.
- Cut 1 ¾” off the top of the 9” cone. This is mom and the cat.
- Cut about ½” off the bottom end of a 6” cone. This is the little boy.
- Cut 1” off the bottom of the other 6” cone. This is the little girl. Reserve the scraps for making the feet.
- Shape each cone to look more like real candy corn. Starting at the top of each cone, use the saw to saw off a section of the cone creating a flat front and back on each cone. Reserve the scraps for making the feet.
- Cut two small half circle feet proportionate to each cone from the reserved scraps. Do not cut feet for the cat and dog, you use felt for them.
- Coat each cone and all the feet with two coats of molding paste or a few coats of gesso to fill the cells of the STYROFOAM™, and smooth the surface for painting.
- Paint the bottom portion of each cone yellow, paint the middle section of each cone orange, and paint the top portion of the cones white and let dry.
- Paint all the feet brown, and paint brown dot eyes on each of the cones.
- From the felt, cut small triangle shapes ears from the felt and glue onto the cat; and cut small oval shaped ears and glue them onto the dog. Cut two half circle feet for the cat and dog and glue in place.
- To make a hat for the dad, cut a 1” circle (top of hat), a 2” circle (brim of hat), and a ¾”x3” piece of felt. Glue the 3” strip into a circle and glue it to the center of the brim, glue the 1” circle on top, glue to the dads head.
- Use the ribbon scraps to make a tie for the dad and bows for the mom and the little girl.